My long-term goal is to make a guide for Charlotte Mason homeschoolers with recommended movies, TV programs, YouTube channels, video games, apps, websites and more. My dream would be to align those recommendations with Ambleside Online’s years and cycles. In the meantime, I will pass on recommendations from myself and other parents as they come up in our conversations so that parents who are educating their children right now can check them out for themselves.
- The Adventures of Milo & Otis
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn)
- The Adventures of the Wilderness Family – *Warning: Wild bear scenes are intense.
- Anne of Green Gables
- Annie (with Shirley Temple)
- Annie (with Quvenzhane Wallis) – *Warning: Foster parent scene is intense.
- Beasts of the Southern Wild (PG-13)
- Cinderella (with Julie Andrews)
- The Fiddler on the Roof – *Warning: Intense scenes with soldiers.
- Hans Christian Anderson
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Disney’s original, not the most recent version)
- My Side of the Mountain
- The Neverending Story – *Warning: The wolf scene is intense as well as a heartbreaking scene with a horse.
- Peter Pan (starring Mary Martin)
- The King & I – *Warning: The King threatens to whip one of his wives.
- Robin Hood (animated)
- Roger & Hammerstein’s Cinderella
- Shirley Temple’s Winnie the Pooh
- Sense & Sensibility
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- Singing in the Rain
- Song of the Sea
- The Sound of Music
- The Ten Commandments – *Warning: Intense scenes include whipping slaves and a child’s death.
- The Beatrix Potter Collection
- Bob, the Builder (original claymation)
- Dirty Jobs
- Fairy Tale Theatre by Shelley Duvall – AO reviewers had mixed opinions. Some did not care for the parodies.
- How It’s Made
- Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood (the original)
- Orbit: Earth’s Extraordinary Journey – Not for Young Earth creationists
- Puffin Rock
- Reading Rainbow (early years)
- Shakespeare: The Animated Tales (BBC)
- Thomas the Tank Engine (original)
- Wilderness Vet
- First Position
- Flight of the Butterflies
- Monkey Kingdom
- BBC’s Planet Earth series
- Time Team
- Wild Kingdom (classic), and there is a continuing Web Series version as well.
- Departures (Japan, PG-13)
- Life Is Beautiful (Italy, PG-13 or older) – Great humor, but also a major tear-jerker. Portrays WWII concentration camps.
- My Neighbor Totoro (Japan)
- Ponyo (Japan)
- The Red Balloon (French, almost a silent film)
- The Secret World of Arriety (Japan, based on The Borrowers)
- Dragon Box (Math) – The website looks cheesy, but the apps are well-designed.
- Dragon Dictation – speech-to-text app
- Math Doodles
- Minecraft – *Warning: “Survivor Mode” includes fighting skeleton and zombie characters at night as well as killing animals for food. I believe there is an option to turn off monsters. Parents may want to check out this article on “5 Educational Benefits of Minecraft” to learn more.
- Monument Valley – illusions/puzzles/princess story
- Hoffman Academy – Learn piano online.
- Sight Singing School – Learn the sol fa method online.
- Sing Solfa – Parent and child learn sol fa together.